Monday, February 23, 2009

Chocolate Dipped Candied Orange Slices

I ate these every time I visited Bern, Switzerland last summer. There was a darling chocolate shop in the Old Town of Bern that had the most delectable chocolate dipped candied orange slices - among other treats. I have been meaning to try my hand at making these since I got back to the States. I finally got around to it. I did a little researching for recipes, and they all seemed to vary quite a bit in the sugar to water ratio. Rather than following any particular recipe, I decided to go with using a basic simple syrup -- equal portions water and sugar -- and it turned out great.

Ingredients:
  • 1.5 cups water
  • 1.5 cups sugar
  • 2 oranges
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

How to:
  1. Using a very sharp knife, slice the oranges into wedges about a quarter inch thick. I was able to cut 16 slices per orange, but this will depend on the size of the oranges you're using.
  2. In a large skillet (at least 12 inch) bring sugar and water to a boil.
  3. Place the orange slices into the skillet. Reduce the heat to a simmer. Let the orange slices simmer for about 30 minutes, until the pith becomes translucent. Flip the oranges once or twice and occasionally press the oranges down into the syrup.
  4. Remove the orange slices from the syrup and cool on parchment paper.
  5. When the orange slices are cool, melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Dip half of the candied orange into the chocolate and let set on a sheet of parchment paper.
  6. The orange slices are ready too eat once the chocolate is cool and hard -- you can store the orange slices in the refrigerator.
Notes: Don't forget to save the syrup from the skillet! It's great over pancakes, ice cream or in other baked goods. I am trying to think of what to use mine in. Also, the bigger the skillet the better - you do not want to over crowd the pan. I was barely able to get 2 full oranges in a 12 inch skillet.

No comments:

Post a Comment