Make this for lunch. Chop up some romaine lettuce and a cup of this salad and it makes a terrifically satisfying lunch. If you're planning on making ahead for the week, I would recommend adding in the bread the morning before you plan to eat it so it doesn't get soggy.
The original recipe calls for rotisserie chicken, however I poached a bone-in chicken breast in white wine and thyme -- mainly to hone a new cooking skill with regards to meat. Also, I used jarred roasted peppers rather than piquillo peppers, and used a bit more lemon juice to bring out the flavors of the fresh herbs in the dressing.
Green Goddess Chicken Salad
Adapted from Food and Wine
- 2 oil packed anchovy filets
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/2 cup packed flat leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup packed basil leaves
- 1/4 cup packed dill
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 3/4 cup mayonaise
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- One 1 pound ciabatta bread
- 1.5 to 2 pounds shredded chicken
- 3 roasted red peppers, drained and thinly sliced
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- salt and pepper to taste
In a food processor, pulse the anchovies, garlic, parsley, basil, dill and oregano until coarsely chopped. Add the mayonnaise and lemon juice and process until smooth. Fold in the chives; season with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, toss the ciabatta with the chicken, peppers, celery and olives. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Notes: the dressing can be made ahead of time and refrigerated up to 2 days. I recommend making it ahead and letting all the flavors blend together.