I made kabobs with pineapple, tofu, scallions, and orange bell pepper by skewering on toothpicks. Just like kabobs on the grill, be sure to soak the toothpicks in water for a minute. I grilled these on the indoor stove top grill lightly oiled with canola oil.
My main goal with the sweet and sour sauce was to not use ketchup as so many recipes do (even my vegetarian Chinese cookbook in Chinese).
Sweet and Sour Sauce Ingredients:
- 6 ounces pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Combine all of the ingredients except the cornstarch and water in a sauce pot. Heat and let boil for about 30 seconds. Reduce heat.
- Make a slurry by mixing cornstarch and water.
- Slowly add into the sauce pot and stir until thickened.
Note: The sauce would be perfect to add to a stir fry.