Saturday, January 31, 2009

Cupboard Clearing Granola


Do you have a bunch of mason jars with only 1/4 cup of contents and little baggies floating about your cupboard with only a handful of ingredients from the bulk section? Well, I do. I am never going to make 1/4 cup of quinoa. I usually let it sit in the cupboard until one day when I decide its too old, toss it and restart my collection. Not this time - I decided to make some granola. Tim and I are leaving for Mexico today and granola is the perfect airplane snack.



Ingredients:
  • 2 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup almond slices
  • 1/4 cup dried blueberries
  • 1/4 cup dried currants
  • 1/2 cup almond meal
  • 1/4 cup quinoa
  • 1/4 cup buckwheat groats
  • 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/4 honey
  • 1/4 cup canola oil

How to:

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Mix all of the ingredients into a bowl - be sure that the oil and honey are well distributed
  3. Spread mixture on to a parchment lined baking sheet
  4. Bake for about 25 minutes - half way through the baking, stir around a bit to get even browning
  5. Let cool completely before putting into an air tight container -- as it cools the chunks of granola form
Notes:
You don't have to follow this recipe exactly. Honestly, I emptied 2 mason jars, 2 baggies, and a box of currants left over from the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment