- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 5 egg whites - at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (optional - see note below)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
- Heat water and sugar in a saucepan until it becomes a syrup (apx 235 - 240 degrees F)
- Whip the eggs on low until they form soft to medium peaks
- Add the cream of tartar
- While the mixer is still running, slowly pour the syrup into the egg whites.
- Add the teaspoon of almond extract
- Mix egg whites until stiff
- Using a spoon, dollop the mixture onto parchment lined cookie sheets.
- Bake for 2 hours. Once 2 hours is up, turn off the oven and let meringues continue to dry in the oven for another half hour.
The almond extract is optional. I often improvise and change the flavor of the meringues. Some of my favorite variations are Lemon - lemon extract and lemon zest - or Peppermint - peppermint extract and then when cool dipped in melted chocolate chips.